120 West Oxford Street
Floyd, Virginia 24091
Phone: (540) 745-9359
Fax: (540) 745-9305
8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Please Note: The building official must approve plans & permit application before a permit can be issued.
The Mission of Floyd County Building Inspection Department is to provide the very best building inspection service and to administer county ordinances in a friendly, courteous, and professional manner, which ensures the health, safety, and welfare of Floyd County citizens.
How to Schedule an Inspection
Inspections may be scheduled Monday thru Friday by calling (540) 745-9359. A 24 hour notice must be given in advance on ALL inspections. NO inspections will be made on the same day of the call in. It is helpful if you give us your building permit number and the name of the owner of the project.
Completion of Work
When you obtain your building permit work must begin within six (6) months or the permit will become invalid. After the six (6) month period a new permit will need to be reissued, no refunds will be given on invalid permits.
1. Building Plans
- Residential: A set of floor/roof truss specs must be available on the job at the time of framing inspection for completion of the inspection. All installation instructions for all gas appliances must be kept with the appliance for rough inspection and kept with the appliance until the final inspection.
- Commercial: All plans must be submitted to our office and approved before issuance of permits.
2. Erosion Control Plans:
- Commercial: Submit 3 plans here in our office and we will submit 1 copy to Skyline Soil and Water Conservation District. All plans have to be approved before any permits will be issued. No construction can be started until approval.
3. Flood Elevation Certificate:
- If your project is located in the floodplain, you may need to employ a surveyor to issue an elevation certificate showing that your floor will be one foot above flood elevation.
Erosion and Sediment Control
When disturbing 10,000 square feet or more of land an erosion and sediment permit and plan is required before grading is started.
For single family homes, an agreement in lieu of a plan may be substituted for an erosion and sediment plan.
Ponds, Creek Crossing & Wet Lands
If you are building a pond, creek crossing, or disturbing wet lands, a permit may be required from the Army Core of Engineers. Please contact Danielle Coutois at 1-540-651-2088
If you are building in the 100 flood plain area, please contact the building official for permit regulations.
CLICK HERE for AEP Requirements for Electric Service (new service)
AEP Meter and Service Guide, CLICK HERE (PDF)
A copy of the Floyd County Subdivision is available by clicking here or in our office. We will be happy to review the subdivision ordinance with you. If you have any questions regarding any subdivision or you would like to meet with Lydeana Martin, please call 540-745-9359.
Manufactured Home Park
A manufactured home park consists of three or more homes on the same lot. You may view the Floyd County Mobile Home Ordinance by clicking here or you may pick up a copy at our office. We will be glad to sit down with you and discuss your plans and the requirements of the ordinance. Please call Lydeana Martin at (540) 745-9359.
Ordinance prohibiting pre-1976 mobile homes, CLICK HERE (PDF)